Monday, July 13, 2009

Charles N. Brown, R. I. P.

Locus Online News: Charles N. Brown, 1937-2009: "Locus publisher, editor, and co-founder Charles N. Brown, 72, died peacefully in his sleep July 12, 2009 on his way home from Readercon.

Charles Nikki Brown was born June 24, 1937 in Brooklyn NY, where he grew up. He attended the City College of New York, taking time off from 1956-59 to serve in the US Navy, and finished his degree (BS in physics and engineering) at night on the GI Bill while working as a junior engineer in the '60s. He married twice, to Marsha Elkin (1962-69), who helped him start Locus, and to Dena Benatan (1970-77), who co-edited Locus for many years while he worked full time. He moved to San Francisco in 1972, working as a nuclear engineer until becoming a full-time SF editor in 1975. The Locus offices have been in Brown's home in the Oakland hills since 1973."

5 comments:

Randy Johnson said...

Sorry to hear that. Locus is one of the few magazines that come to the house.
R.I.P. Dude!

George said...

I started reading LOCUS back in the Sixties and subscribed since the 70s. It's one of the few magazines I'm still interested in. The blend of interviews and reviews are unmatched. Charles Brown will be missed.

Thomas Miller said...

I almost never subscribe to magazines, but I've been a LOCUS subscriber for over 30, may 35, years. It was essential.

Scott Cupp said...

I never subscribed, but I bought and read every issue since 1980

Anonymous said...

I knew Charlie fairly well as a bookseller and a reader. For awhile I was one of the many local SF fans. The collators, the fans who for the put the subscription labels on the magazine and sorted them by zip code.. Charlie could fix a supper and a grand time was had by all. Charlie could have jobbed it out years ago but I think he liked the comradely community of all those fans bagging and tagging and the generated conversation. LOCUS won so many Hugo’s it was akin to visiting a model Rocket Ship museum. The basic design remained the same but each year the base changed with the Worldcon site.. His collection is legendary not only of SF but Age of Sail fiction as well. He had all the Kent & O’Brien long before others discovered them .I hope Locus as a magazine continues…
Bryan Barrett.